Skip to main content

In Nutshell, Ubhauli Sakela Lisbon 2019



From the beginning, I used to be proud of being Rai but I don´t know why my cast allured me that much. Where I was born there are around 60 houses of Rai apart from them most of the people are from Chhetri community. My village is called Khalde which is in Yasok of Kummayak Gaupalika the eastern part of Panchthar district. In my village whoever Rais are there, they all are Chamling and they are all the relatives of each other.

Being a small community of Rai is there, there isn´t much influence of Rai culture on people. My grandparents used to speak Chamling dialects well whereas my parents only used to speak a little bit. In our school curriculums, sometimes we had to study about Kirat era of Nepal. I used to have goosebumps while reading that. Another means of information was the radio at that time because we didn´t have access to electricity to watch televisions. My village is still out of access to electricity. In the course of time, through the means of school books, radios and my seniors I came to know that there are two big festivals of our Kirat community in a year which are called Ubhauli which is in the month of April and Udhauli which is in the month of December. In these two festivals, people of our community dance Sakela and we have our own attire, culture, and religion. According to my ancestors, my forefathers migrated there from Halesi Khotang. They intended to migrate to Darjeeling but while they were shifting there, they liked this village and they decided to stay here. Since then, we have been through many generations in this village.

Few days before, I came to know why our forefathers migrated from Halesi Khotang reading the article which was written by one of our scholars Dr. Nabal Kishore Rai which says that after defeated treacherously by the Lichchhabi regime, the Kirati people shifted to eastern part of Nepal from the Kathmandu valley. So, they started to live and rule there but in the regime of Prithvi Narayan Shah, they were defeated again. Our ancestors were treated and extorted very badly by the rulers of him. For example, they killed the babies taking out from the bellies of pregnant women of our community. In this situation, they migrated from their birthplace to save their lives and their new generations so that they can´t bear all these intolerances of Shah Regime.

Completing my school level education, I came to Dharan to pursue my further education. In Dharan I got to know our culture more because historically Dharan is a fertile land of our Kirat community. Even if we check the population of Dharan, the majority of the population is Rai there. There are so many temples and parks of Kirat Rai community in Dharan. Honestly speaking I saw our Sakela dance in Dharan for the first time in my life. Later I went to many Sakela programs in different places of Kathmandu that enhanced my knowledge of culture and religion.

After coming to Europe, I didn´t get the chance to experience Sakela even if I was invited to celebrate Ubhauli Sakela in Lisbon every year because Kirat Rai community celebrate Ubhauli Sakela every year in Lisbon. Before I used to live out of Lisbon because I worked there but from last year I have started to live here in Lisbon. Even if I have started to live here from last year we didn´t celebrate Sakela last year because one of our guardians Narabhupal Rai passed away in the time of Ubhauli Sakela even though we collected money to celebrate Sakela. But this year we celebrated our Ubhauli Sakela successfully at Bela Vista park of Lisbon a few days before. We enjoyed a lot on that day. If I have to sum up the program, the program was totally successful. So, I would like thank to our seniors specifically Kala Rai Di, Santu Rai Di and Raj Rai Dai who took the initiatives to make this happen. We will see again in another Ubhauli Sakela program next year. Happy belated Ubhauli Sakela again to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yep, I Got Promoted Today!

Yep, I Got Promoted Today!  आफ्नो कर्ममा विश्वास गर्छु। कसैको नराम्रो सोच्दिन। सबैजना खुशी भएर बाँच्नुपर्छ भनेर सोच्छु। मैले कसैलाई सत्रु ठानेको पनि छैन। सत्रु बनउँन लायक काम पनि गरेको छैन। मेरो Principle भनेको Do no harm, take no shit हो।  जे होस्, मेरो मेहनत, ट्यालेण्ट्स, ईमान्दारिता र स्किल्सको कदर हुँदा खुशी लागेको छ। मलाई थाहा छ, म एउटा खुट्किलो मात्रै चढेको हो, ६ महिनाको सुरुवातीमा। अझै शीखरको यात्रा तय गर्न टाढै छ। तर मलाई यति थाहा छ, यी चालिसकेको पाईलाहरु शीखर नपुगी कुनै हालतमा थाक्ने छैनन्। आपा-आमा, हजुरहरूप्रति म सँधै कृतज्ञ छु। किनभने, म आज जहाँ छु, तपाईंहरुकै आशिर्वादले छु। तपाईंहरु भौतिक रुपमा साथमा नभएपनि, सँधै राम्रो काम गरेर, हजुरहरुको आत्मलाई शान्ति दिने मेरो अन्तर्मनको चाहना छ।  अन्त्यमा, Sticks n Sushi लाई र मेरो Head Chef दुबैलाई भूँईसोरी धन्यवाद दिन चाहान्छु। I won’t let down guys. यो मेरो खुशीको पललाई अझै खुशी थप्न, आफूले आफैलाई IPhone 15 Pro गीफ्ट गर्ने पनि घोषणा गर्दछु। किनभने, संसारमा सबैभन्दा ठुलो कुरा भनेको Self Happiness रहेछ।  Thank you ALL!

A brief summary of Yashok and its pictures

Yashok is small in size yet it is very beautiful. It is in the west of Panchthar district. It is the second famous place after Phidim in Panchthar.  Recently, it was connected with roads. If you wanna go Yashok, there are 4 ways to get; one from Ranke, another from Phidim, next one from Mauwa and last one from Tehrathum. There are two internationally renown holly places namly Kusayak and Kumayak. It is considered as one of the sacred places in Nepal as Pathivara Mandir in Taplejung. It is also the center of many vdcs. It is also famous for Trishala Mela. It happens in the interval of every three years periods for three days. At this time, many progarams are organized. People not only come here from inside Nepal but also people come from all over the world at that time and they especially, worship Kusayak and Kumabayak at that time. In short,  it is the landmark of Panchthar. People love its eternal untamed beauty and we love its prosperity. Up with Yashok B

Unsafe Nepalease Sky

Cpt. Paras Kumar Rai So shattered by the news of plane crash at Lukla Tenzing Hilary airport in Solukhumbu. In which plane crash, pilot Paras Rai and co-pilot  Srijan Manandhar of Goma Air cost their lives and air hostess Pragya Maharjan was injured to death. My heartfelt condolences go to Cpt Paras Rai and co-pilot Srijan Manandhar and pray for the rapid recovery of Pragya Maharjan. Co-Pilot Shrijan Manandhar Every year, we have been losing couples skillful pilots by buying the second handed planes and helicopters from the European countries. Not only we lose the pilots but also we lose the crews of the plane s and helicopters and its boarded passengers. Many surveys have shown that the sky of Nepal is not safe for the flight. But the government has not made any concrete plan for it yet. Air Hostess Pragya Maharjan It's very expensive to study the pilot course for the students who want to do it. For this, we need to go abroad because we don´t have this